Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ellie's Easy Ceviche

Since I've been home for winter break, I've been cooking a lot and I wanted to share with you all something delicious I made this week. I know ceviche sounds complicated or in the very least, may scare you off because of concerns about the seafood not fully cooking but I assure you, it's very easy! For starters, I used Costco frozen, raw, tail-on shrimp and let the defrost in the refrigerator overnight , then made a citrus marinade for the shrimp which is what cooks them and left them in the marinade for another night in the fridge. Finally, a made an avocado salad that I mixed the shrimp into and enjoyed! This dish is a great snack from the bowl or an excellent cocktail party treat with tortilla chips. It's so easy and really delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much my family and I did!

For the marinade:
8-12 tail on shrimp
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
Lemon juice
Orange juice
Soy sauce

Once the shrimp are thawed, remove the tails and cut each shrimp into bite size pieces: I was basically cutting each shrimp into fourths. Place the shrimp in a quart size ziploc freezer bag and add in the chopped garlic. Then pour in around 1/4-1/3 cup lemon juice depending on your acidity preferences and then add orange juice until the bag is roughy 3/4 full of liquid. Add a splash of soy sauce, shake, and place in the fridge for 24 hours.

Avocado salad:
2 large avocados
medium red onion finely chopped to taste
Approx. 1 1/2 T. Lemon juice (based on your taste preference)
2 t. Lime juice
1 t. Soy sauce
1 t. Sugar
A few dashes Sea salt
1 T. Orange juice

Cut the avocado into various sized pieces and put them in a small bowl. Pour on some of the lemon juice to keep the avocado fresh while you work. Add the chopped red onion, more lemon juice, lime juice, and soy sauce. Then add the sugar and salt. Taste the mixture and feel free to add more of any of the ingredients, it's not a science at all and totally about your tastes. Cover the mixture very tightly with almost no air reaching it to keep the avocado from browning. I use a piece of plastic wrap touching the salad and then a Tupperware lid on the bowl itself. Leave the mix in the fridge for about an hour to allow all the flavors to come together. Taste the salad. Then, drain the shrimp reserving the marinade. Gently stir in the shrimp and add some of the remaining marinade to taste, I added about half. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment